- About Us
- School History
"Chelsea" was founded in 1864. The name of the first Superior was Mother St. Lewis Gonzaga. The school was first founded as an orphanage for the children of British soldiers, who had lost their parents and had no one to care for them, and were sent by the Bishop of Agra to be looked after by the sisters. The Military gave the orphans a small monthly stipend, which helped toward their up keep and education. Along with the orphans, a few boarders were also accepted. They also lived in the orphanage and all the children were given good education. In 1869 help was given to the sister's to enlarge the school. The enrolment of pupils by this time had increased to 155. In 1873 the 'Chelsea' convent chapel was built, and every year an additional improvement of the building was effected, it continued to grow and flourish. By 1940, since military services regulations had changed with the times, there was no longer any need for the orphanage, and 'St. Francis School', as the orphanage was called, became the junior school and the main building housed the senior school.
The year 1941 to 1945 witnessed an increased enrolment in the school. These years were also marked by vital changes in the curriculum-the teaching of Indian History and Indian languages was given special emphasis. As negotiations for 'Independence' gathered momentum, British officials made plans to leave the country, and the school was once again faced with another period of transition.
In April 1946 a devastating fire destroyed most of 'Chelsea'. The children were sent to 'Eagle Mount', and the classes continued in the compound for a couple of years in tents lent to the Nuns by the military authorities. By 1947 there were signs of political trouble in the north, and in 1948 when the trouble did break out in the north, the school was affected. About 50% of the pupils came from Pakistan, and it was a great relief to the Sister when secret arrangements were made to convey the girls under military escort as far as the border. Besides the girls, there were Muslim servants, and the nuns were happy to hear that these men had also been taken safely to their homes.
eace came again to the country but the number in the school had gone down. It took some years to build Chelsea up again to the strength of 1700.
With courage and sacrifice, the Sisters of Jesus and Mary continues the aim of its foundress-Mother St. Claudine Thevenet, namely, to develop in the pupils, those qualities which will fit them to fill worthily their place in their homes and in society.